What About Help With Rehabilitation, Training Or Education?

Published: June 10, 2004

If you are likely to benefit from rehabilitation, you are referred to a state rehabilitation agency or private organization for rehabilitation services. Social Security pays for the services if you are successfully rehabilitated. If you recover from your disability while in an approved rehabilitation or training program that is likely to result in your becoming self-supporting, benefits will continue until the program is over.

For example, if you were in a nurse’s aide training program and your condition improved so that you were no longer disabled, benefits ordinarily would stop. But if you have contacted Social Security and we are aware of your participation in the program and have approved it, then your benefits would continue until the program is over. For more information on Social Security and vocational rehabilitation, ask for the special leaflet, How Social Security Can Help with Vocational Rehabilitation (Publication No. 05-10050).