Pneumonia is an infection of the lungs. The symptoms include:
* Pain (if able to feel it; pain is sometimes “referred” to shoulder in quadriplegics).
* Shortness of breath
* Feeling of tightness in the chest
* Cough that produces secretions
* If tracheotomy is present, may have changes in secretions, such as increased amount and a change in color to green or yellow, and/or
* Weakness, fatigue, nausea, decreased appetite.
The treatment of pneumonia includes:
* Contact your physician
* Begin procedures to drain the particular area of lung involved, such as:
o Respiratory treatments if prescribed by physician
o Postural Drainage
o Assisted coughing and/or increased Suctioning if you have Tracheostomy
o Vaporizer to loosen congestion (cool mist type is preferred)
PoinTIS Copyright © 1998 the Louis Calder Memorial Library of the University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Medical Center, all rights reserved.