Anyone who has suffered a spinal cord injury or serious back injury should consult with a lawyer as soon as possible to determine their legal rights. There is no charge or commitment for such a consultation. An accident that may appear to be no ones fault or your own fault could still result in economic recovery for you.
Never assume that legal consultation would be a waste of time, or would cost you money. No matter how you feel today, you should seek legal advice. You may be unaware of all the factors contributing to your accident. The liability of other parties – vehicle manufacturers and pool installers, property managers and others – can be a complicated point of law. And if you wait too long, it will be too late to pursue your case.
Most lawyers do not charge a fee for the initial conference and review. And almost all trial lawyers work on a “contingent fee” basis, where the attorney receives a percentage of the award as a fee. If the lawsuit is not won, there is no legal fee.
Since someone else’s negligence may be partly responsible for your injury, you need more information on your legal options. You should contact a qualified attorney specializing in spinal cord injuries.
Selecting An Attorney
You may wish to talk to one or several lawyers before you decide on one to represent your case. When choosing an attorney, ask the following questions:
* Will the attorney personally handle your case? Or will it be turned over to a less experienced member of the firm?
* How much experience has the attorney had in cases similar to yours? Someone who handles general product liability and personal injury cases may lack a specialized knowledge of spinal cord injuries.
* How successful has the attorney been with cases similar to yours? Look for a good win record, and a lawyer that has the knowledge, resources and commitment to put forth the best effort on your case.
* Can your attorney supply names and phone numbers of previous clients who can testify to his ability as an attorney?
* Can the attorney provide experts to evaluate and support your case in court?
Ron Gilbert, chairman of FSCIPCC, is an attorney that has helped SCI victims in 35 states. Because many of his clients cannot easily travel, Ron Gilbert visits each personally, providing support, information and referrals to help his clients in all aspects of their lives. If you have questions regarding your legal options or the selection of an attorney, Ron Gilbert will provide you with free professional counsel based on his nearly 20 years of experience with these types of cases. He can be reached toll free at 1-800-342-0330 or by email at email@example.com.